Data App for Global Elevator Provider
We developed a mobile application for our client to store all of its elevator information in a database. With the app, our client is able to easily monitor the performance of its elevators.
Our client is a global leader in the Elevator and Escalator Industry. Upholding the mission of improving the flow of urban life, our client is dedicated to providing high-quality elevators, escalators, automatic building doors, and solutions for maintenance and modernization to its customers, adding value to the lifecycle of any building.
In order to ensure the safety and usability of its elevators, our client has the practice of assessing its elevators, making sure their conditions meet company standards. In the past, the company maintenance workers have been completing the assessment checklist manually, which is redundant as the basic information of the elevators have to be repeatedly filled in. Wanting to improve the efficiency in elevator assessments, our client is currently seeking to digitalize and centralize the data on all of its elevators.
HOW WE DID IT
In creating a Data App for our client, we worked on building a database that stores the basic information of all the company elevators, designing a user-friendly interface, as well as building an easily-managed backend system for internal usage.
Below outlines our project approach:
- Conducted stakeholder interview to understand the complexity and difficulty of our client in centralizing all elevator information
- Researched on approaches to centralize all elevator data in a database
- Studied our client’s existing elevator assessment checklists to identify information that could be automatically filled in by a computer system
- Outlined the user flow of the Data App to allow for easy usage of both the company and the maintenance workers
- Managed the app development progress through coordinating with the Design and Programming Teams
- Carried out User Acceptance Test (UAT) internally and externally
- Refined the app system based on any problems found
- Developed additional system content to enhance the Data App
Below is a list of highlights of the Data App:
- Supported by a comprehensive database that stores all the basic information of elevators, in which the data can be automatically updated when amendments are made on the app and the backend system
- Maintenance workers will be able to complete the assessment checklist on the app
- The assessment checklist will have the basic info of the elevators pre-entered by the system, meaning the workers only have to change the quantitative details to update the assessment checklist
- The app will highlight any missing items to be filled in, eliminating human effort in screening through all assessment checklists to ensure accuracy
- Administrative staff of the company will be freed from having to manually enter the assessment results into the computer system, as these reports can be easily generated by calling selected fields from the database
- Maintenance workers will be able to enter follow-up action requests upon filling in the assessment checklist of each elevator
- The Data App also stores information of all the company maintenance tools
- Workers can check the expiry date, usage history, and owner of each tool on a master checklist